From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for cleaning portage a bit (themes and other eyecandy stuff)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:36:58
1 On Friday 18 August 2006 08:12 am, Simon Toth wrote:
2 > INTRO:
3 > I have just a small proposal. There are many theme packages in portage,
4 > but many good are still missing, the problem I actually noticed when
5 > creating my own ebuild for comix cursors, is that there is really a mess
6 > in theme packages. They are both in media-gfx and x11-themes, they are
7 > named without any convention.
8
9 Themes is kind of tricky. More on that in a bit.
10
11 > PROPOSAL:
12 > 1) create a new directory in portage root eye-candy [or similar]
13
14 Naming needs help, but that's for later ;)
15
16 > 2) move all theme packages in there
17
18 I assume you mean everything in x11-themes?
19
20 > 3) follow the naming convention: [application]-[type]-[name] (for gentoo
21 > cursors this would be x11-cursors-gentoo, or for kdm theme tux mania it
22 > would be kdm-theme-tuxmania)
23
24 This worries me... I'm afraid this will promote users to start sending us
25 themes for everything and the kitchen sink. This is a nightmare to an
26 already interesting problem of tree maintainance.
27
28 > 4) keep original packages as meta packages with notice, that users
29 > should upgrade
30
31 We add this to an update file which handles this for users transparently.
34 Chris White
35 Gentoo Developer aka:
36 ChrisWhite
37 cpw