From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:27:09
1 Nirbheek Chauhan posted on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:26:50 +0530 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> William Hubbs wrote:
5 >> As a user, if a person hasn't upgraded in about 6 months, they may as
6 >> well reinstall anyway.  That is usually the advice given on -user.
7 >>  After a year without updating, it is certainly easier and most likely
8 >> faster to reinstall.
9 >
10 > Except for the fact that while you upgrade, you still have a usable
11 > system. Reinstallation means a massive time-sink during which your
12 > machine is completely unusable. This is not an option for a lot of
13 > people.
14
15 This isn't really true. "Reinstallation" in the sense used here, and in
16 the sense that removing baselayout-1 support would require, can simply
17 mean untarring a new stage-3 tarball over top of an existing system and
18 going from there.
19
20 That gets one a(n) unbroken and updated base on which to rebuild. If one
21 already has their general world file and USE flags setup and is already
22 reasonably familiar with Gentoo, it goes pretty fast, particularly if one
23 isn't rearranging partitions, etc, as one wouldn't be if we're comparing
24 to a no-reinstall, and the system remains generally functional thru most
25 or all of it.
26
27 Alternatively, if one wants a clean install, one can install to a new
28 chroot (probably on a different partition), keeping the existing system
29 intact and up and running until the new system is ready, then rebooting
30 into it, and after some basic testing to be sure it really /is/ ready,
31 blowing away the old system partition. This allows one to keep the same
32 /home and data partitions, and to copy over or use for reference the old
33 configuration in /etc.
34
35 I actually did something very similar to the chroot install both when
36 first installing Gentoo (using an existing Mandrake system, this was
37 2004), and when building the 32-bit netbook image I built on a dedicated
38 32-bit image partition my main machine but transferred to a thumb-drive
39 for initial boot on the netbook, and now keep updated using ssh and rsync
40 over ssh. It's not difficult, and even with the differences between the
41 64-bit main machine and the netbook (image), much of the configuration
42 was copied over then changed as necessary. It would be even easier if it
43 was a reinstall to a new partition on the same machine with basically the
44 exact same config.
45
46 So keeping an up and running machine even with a reinstall isn't a
47 problem, certainly no more of one than fighting with broken installs,
48 because everything has changed out from under the existing one.
49
50 And I've done in-place upgrades to my netbook image, which doesn't get
51 updated nearly as frequently as my main machine, too. Even having gone
52 thru the updates one at a time on the main machine, after about 6 months,
53 it becomes *HARD* to update the existing installation, because stuff
54 simply /has/ changed out from under it, and at about 8 months, probably 6
55 months if I hadn't been keeping up on another machine so had already gone
56 thru the process incrementally once, it really *IS* more practical to
57 reinstall, generally meaning in practice, doing an in-place stage-3
58 tarball extraction and an emerge --emptytree @system followed by emerge
59 --emptytree ~world.
60
61 > If -user is regularly giving that kind of advice, I think you guys are
62 > making a huge mistake.
63 >
64 > I'm not going to support this kind of max-6-month-upgrade life cycle for
65 > Gentoo. We're effectively driving our users away to distros like Ubuntu
66 > that allow you to upgrade every LTS release instead of constantly or
67 > every 6 months.
68
69 Perhaps so. But really, Gentoo isn't a perfect fit for everyone and
70 we're only lying to ourselves and doing a disservice to our potential
71 users to pretend it is. If people are only updating every six months or
72 less frequently, then they really ought to be using a distribution
73 designed for exactly that sort of upgrade scenario, and Gentoo simply
74 doesn't fit the description. It can certainly still be made to work, and
75 for one-offs like the year of military duty many countries have, it's a
76 good thing that it can be made to work, but it's making life (and Linux)
77 more difficult than it really needs to be, if that's going to be one's
78 routine update spacing, and IMO we ARE simply lying to ourselves, etc,
79 pretending otherwise. And it's hurting our regular users too, because
80 time spent trying to keep year-out compatibility is time that cannot be
81 spent keeping packages updated and keeping rolling updates smooth.
82
83 None-the-less, as someone else points out, the policy /is/ one year. At
84 that point an upgrade's going to be rather difficult in any case, but the
85 line must be drawn somewhere, and if we're not deliberately breaking
86 stuff out to a year, that makes the six-month upgrades at least
87 reasonably possible. If the policy were six months, or even say 8-9
88 months, it's quite possible six-month updates would be more difficult as
89 well, and I doubt anyone would sanely argue that a six-month update
90 shouldn't be quite reasonable, even if a bit difficult in practice.
95 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman