From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 05:57:47
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > William Hubbs wrote:
3 > As a user, if a person hasn't upgraded in about 6 months, they may as well
4 > reinstall anyway.  That is usually the advice given on -user.  After a year
5 > without updating, it is certainly easier and most likely faster to
6 > reinstall.
7
8 Except for the fact that while you upgrade, you still have a usable
9 system. Reinstallation means a massive time-sink during which your
10 machine is completely unusable. This is not an option for a lot of
11 people.
12
13 If -user is regularly giving that kind of advice, I think you guys are
14 making a huge mistake.
15
16 I'm not going to support this kind of max-6-month-upgrade life cycle
17 for Gentoo. We're effectively driving our users away to distros like
18 Ubuntu that allow you to upgrade every LTS release instead of
19 constantly or every 6 months.
23 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
24
25 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team