From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 07:27:40
1 On 07/01/11 07:56, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> As a user, if a person hasn't upgraded in about 6 months, they may as well
5 >> reinstall anyway. That is usually the advice given on -user. After a year
6 >> without updating, it is certainly easier and most likely faster to
7 >> reinstall.
8 >
9 > Except for the fact that while you upgrade, you still have a usable
10 > system. Reinstallation means a massive time-sink during which your
11 > machine is completely unusable. This is not an option for a lot of
12 > people.
13
14 I'd call myself an "affected user" in this context:
15 As (lazy) administrator of some servers (hardened) and desktops (stable),
16 both virtualbox servers and guests, as well as an x86 binhost vm for the
17 laptop, and the only requirement of keep-it-working, I'm doing the upgrades
18 somewhat seldom: up to 1.5 years, especially for the hardened servers.
19
20 As I don't care for compilation time (the servers are up 24/7), my thought
21 to still allow for a somewhat stable upgrade path: Regularly (twice a year?)
22 take a tree snapshot to keep around (infra? releng?), and provide some mechanism
23 (eselect?) to pick such an old snapshot instead of the current (rsync) one.
24 Then, run each (half-year) update within a couple of days...
25
26 Maybe the tree snapshots are there already within the live-cds: Do we aim
27 to provide an upgrade path from one live-cd snapshot to the next one?
28
29 /haubi/
30 --
31 Michael Haubenwallner