From: Abhishek Amit <abhishekamit2000@×××××.com>
To: Robert Thomas <rwt@×××××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how CVS ebuilds are managed
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:33:41
1 On 14:21 Tue 29 Apr , Robert Thomas wrote:
2 > Instead of having a separate package for a cvs version of a package, why
3 > not consider the cvs version to be the latest version of a package, but
4 > always marked unstable? Since the cvs version of a package usually
5 > overwrites the existing version, the old version should be automagically
6 > unmerged. For example, in the case of gaim and gaim-cvs, if the cvs
7 > version of gaim is installed, the stable version should be unmerged as
8 > if it was an old version of the package. Perhaps there is another way to
9 > manage this.
10 > In the case of binary packages (like openoffice-bin), they should also
11 > be considered to be the same package, but still kept separate in some way.
12 > Perhaps another USE flag?
13 > # USE="bin" emerge openoffice
14 >
15 > Or maybe cvs could be a new keyword:
16 > # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="cvs" emerge gaim
17 >
18 > Ok, I really am talking out of the wrong orifice here, and I know that
19 > these ideas are probably a misuse of USE flags and KEYWORDS. I would
20 > just like to know if something like this could work (not necessarily the
21 > way I've described it, perhaps a different extention to the version
22 > calculating routine altogether), or if there is a reason these packages
23 > are managed the way they are (by "these" I mean all packages ending in
24 > "-bin" or "-cvs").
25 >
26 > --
27 > Cicero (Robert Thomas)
28 > CS Major @ GA Tech
29 > Email: rwt@×××××××××.edu
32 > --
33 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
34 >
35 I don't even think this is really important, as cvs ebuilds are meant to
36 be sued sparingly(only when the release version is really old, as gaim
37 was and I'm sure there are some other critereia that can be used).
38 gaim-cvs is depreacted now. Perhaps it is just me, but I really don't
39 see the point in adding mroe features to prtage for three or four
40 packages.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list