From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tinderboxing efforts in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:14:40
1 On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:08 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Friday, December 2, 2016 2:10:27 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> Hi, everyone.
5 >>
6 >> I've heard multiple times about various tinderbox projects being
7 >> started by individuals in Gentoo. In fact, so many different projects
8 >> that I've forgotten who was working on most of them.
9 >
10 > Did any of the tinderboxes test all the various USE flag combinations or just
11 > the defaults?
14 This is generally considered infeasible:
15
16 https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/06/a-tinderbox-is-not-enough-reprise/
17
18 I think continuous integration with tinderboxing is a really solid
19 idea. However, I'm not under any illusions that it will involve
20 testing every package with every possible set of USE flags. IMO
21 testing with the defaults of a few common profiles is probably
22 sufficient, and mgorny's CI approach of just doing repoman checks is
23 already a value add. I can't remember the last time I ran into a
24 silly lack-of-repoman issue because they don't exist in the tree I
25 sync from, but it is obvious that many users still run into them
26 because this is not present in the official rsync mirrors (at least
27 the manifest issues have been sorted out).
30 Rich