From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Experiences with rc5-1
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:49:14
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 02:23:05PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:18:10PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 03:05:30PM -0400, joe.derosa.b1@×××××.com wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > I have a machine with a sym53c8xx controller with 2 hard drives, and an IDE
6 > > > cdrom. The machine boots r1 just fine, but there is no module available for
7 > > > the sym53c8xx controller. I am in the process of building a module for this
8 > > > controller to put on floppy and try to load, but I keep running into symbol
9 > > > problems.
10 > >
11 > > I'll generate a new iso rev in a few minutes that includes this controller.
12 >
13 > Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to this until this evening. Shouldn't take
14 > more than 1/2 an hour to do, but I'm incredibly busy today; apologies.
15
16 OK; I'm getting to this now. It actually appears that I compiled two conflicting
17 SCSI drivers into the kernel, which caused the problem. I didn't realize that the
18 kernel had a whopping 3 different drivers for your particular chip.
19
20 On the new rev, "sym53c8xx" support will be compiled-in, "ncr53c8xxx" will be a
21 module, and "ncr53c7xx,8xx" support will be a module. I don't have any of
22 these SCSI cards, but based on the configuration help and your email, it seemed
23 as if the "sym53c8xx" driver had the best support for the most recent NCR
24 chips. Hope I made the right choices; please let me know.
25
26 I'll post here when the new ISO revs are available.
29 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
30 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
31 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.