From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New QA policy suggestion: Disallow "live-only" packages
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 05:23:48
1 On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 09:10:01AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 07:13 +0200, Joonas Niilola wrote:
3 > > I'm suggesting a new QA policy to disallow any "live-ebuild-only
4 > > packages" being hosted in ::gentoo.
5 >
6 > I'm with you on this though I think it should be relaxed to disallow
7 > only long term presence of pure live packages. It's fine to add a live
8 > ebuild first for a month or two if you're still working on something
9 > (just like it's fine to add a masked package). However, it's not fine
10 > to leave things like this for years.
11 >
12 > That said, maybe the policy should cover 'long-term masked packages'
13 > in general. See below.
14
15 I agree with this. long term is definitely not good, but I typically add
16 the live ebuild to test first before I do the real ones.
17
18 SELinux packages specifically I have a script which handles bumping
19 all of them properly by copying the -9999 to the current as I cut a release.
20 So to add a new policy, I'll add the -9999 ebuild a while before.
21 The aim is obviously on the order of days but sometimes ENOTIME so it
22 might be a while longer.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Jason