From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New QA policy suggestion: Disallow "live-only" packages
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 08:10:12
1 On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 07:13 +0200, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > I'm suggesting a new QA policy to disallow any "live-ebuild-only
3 > packages" being hosted in ::gentoo.
4
5 I'm with you on this though I think it should be relaxed to disallow
6 only long term presence of pure live packages. It's fine to add a live
7 ebuild first for a month or two if you're still working on something
8 (just like it's fine to add a masked package). However, it's not fine
9 to leave things like this for years.
10
11 That said, maybe the policy should cover 'long-term masked packages'
12 in general. See below.
13
14 > Rationale being the same as why
15 > -9999 packages can't have KEYWORDS: They are unpredictable and
16 > potentially insecure. Unpredictability could mean upstream repo being
17 > broken at any given time placing users in an awkward situation, where
18 > they are able to build some packages while not the others. Upstream
19 > repo can also be force-pushed over. I feel like packages offered in
20 > ::gentoo shouldn't have these issues, and the need to have at least one
21 > safe release available to users that's guaranteed to build.
22
23 I agree with this but I'd like to emphasize one point: these packages
24 are not installable for users out of the box. They are not tested
25 as part of tinderboxing. They simply can't be installed in some
26 environments (e.g. network-restricted) though obviously they're not
27 production-ready by design.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny