From: Ivan Yosifov <ivan@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Split ELF Debug (default or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:13:49
1 On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 07:24 -0500, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 13:20 -0600, R Hill wrote:
3 > > Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > > > Good afternoon,
5 > > >
6 > > > probably in portage-2.0.54 a patch will be added to emit split debug
7 > > > info. Having a split debug allows us to retain all the advantages of
8 > > > stripping executables while gaining the ability to properly debug
9 > > > executables in bfd aware programs. It's been in testing with a small
10 > > > hand full of devs and works quite well, but before it's pushed in we
11 > > > would like to get input from our devs & users.
12 > > >
13 > > > Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
14 > > > executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
15 > > > want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
16 > >
17 > > How much space are we talking about?
18 >
19 > There is no fixed size here and depends on the number of packages you
20 > have and the CFLAGS passed to the programs you build.
21 > Naturally if you start building all your code with
22 > CFLAGS="-g3 -ggdb" your going to end up with a larger debug info.
23
24 Of course I will be compiling with CFLAGS="-g3 -ggdb" :)
25
26 The reason I don't do it now is because debug info:
27
28 1) makes binaries larger
29 2) makes binaries slower ( in my experience ( may have to do with 1) )
30
31 And I don't ( not sure if anyone does ) care about any non-gdb debugger.
32
33 So, can you give us a wild guess about the disk space ? How much does it
34 take on your system and how many packages do you have installed ?
35
36 And one more thing. For proper debugging, don't I need the source to be
37 present ?
40 Cheers,
41 Ivan Yosifov.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list