From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Split ELF Debug (default or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:40:07
1 On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 13:20 -0600, R Hill wrote:
2 > Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > Good afternoon,
4 > >
5 > > probably in portage-2.0.54 a patch will be added to emit split debug
6 > > info. Having a split debug allows us to retain all the advantages of
7 > > stripping executables while gaining the ability to properly debug
8 > > executables in bfd aware programs. It's been in testing with a small
9 > > hand full of devs and works quite well, but before it's pushed in we
10 > > would like to get input from our devs & users.
11 > >
12 > > Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
13 > > executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
14 > > want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
15 >
16 > How much space are we talking about?
17
18 There is no fixed size here and depends on the number of packages you
19 have and the CFLAGS passed to the programs you build.
20 Naturally if you start building all your code with
21 CFLAGS="-g3 -ggdb" your going to end up with a larger debug info.
24 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
25 Gentoo Linux
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list