From: "Mateusz A. Mierzwiński" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:52:53
1 Richard Freeman pisze:
2 > Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 10:15:16 Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
4 >>> So why not to send on screen info about what to do rather then "ERROR"?
5 >>
6 >> Please reread this entire thread. That's exactly what is being proposed.
7 >
8 > I'd go one step further. Don't tell the user what to do - just do it
9 > (when this is safe).
10 >
11 > Maybe have a REPLACES="app-foo/bar" variable in ebuilds. That tells
12 > the package manager that the new package supersedes the old one - any
13 > version of the new package is considered higher in version than any
14 > version of the old package. Any cases where the new package
15 > overwrites files belonging to the old package are not detected as
16 > collisions. If set to auto-clean the package manger unmerges the old
17 > package after merging the new one. If the package manager sees the
18 > old package in world it will act like the new package is in world.
19 > Basically you treat it like an upgrade.
20 >
21 > This isn't always desirable, and in those cases you wouldn't use this
22 > functionality.
23 >
24 > Having an ebuild output a list of steps telling the user how to work
25 > around a package manager limitation is really a non-ideal solution.
26 > If a defined set of steps will always fix the issue, why not just do
27 > them?
28 >
29 > And maybe have an option/FEATURE to disable this behavior, just as you
30 > can disable auto-cleaning in portage. We don't tell users to manually
31 > clean out old versions of software, so why tell them to manually
32 > resolve other issues?
33 >
34 > Again, I'm not proposing this as a fix to ALL blocks. However,
35 > something like this could have made the mktemp mess a lot simpler.
36 > There would have been no issues to end users if the new coreutils
37 > silently collided with mktemp and triggered auto-removal of mktemp
38 > when the upgrade was done.
39 This are good idea's. But i think about what You have written - when
40 this is safe. I think this could make some troubles...
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list