From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:53:58
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 April 2008 10:15:16 Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
3 >> So why not to send on screen info about what to do rather then "ERROR"?
4 >
5 > Please reread this entire thread. That's exactly what is being proposed.
6
7 I'd go one step further. Don't tell the user what to do - just do it
8 (when this is safe).
9
10 Maybe have a REPLACES="app-foo/bar" variable in ebuilds. That tells the
11 package manager that the new package supersedes the old one - any
12 version of the new package is considered higher in version than any
13 version of the old package. Any cases where the new package overwrites
14 files belonging to the old package are not detected as collisions. If
15 set to auto-clean the package manger unmerges the old package after
16 merging the new one. If the package manager sees the old package in
17 world it will act like the new package is in world. Basically you treat
18 it like an upgrade.
19
20 This isn't always desirable, and in those cases you wouldn't use this
21 functionality.
22
23 Having an ebuild output a list of steps telling the user how to work
24 around a package manager limitation is really a non-ideal solution. If
25 a defined set of steps will always fix the issue, why not just do them?
26
27 And maybe have an option/FEATURE to disable this behavior, just as you
28 can disable auto-cleaning in portage. We don't tell users to manually
29 clean out old versions of software, so why tell them to manually resolve
30 other issues?
31
32 Again, I'm not proposing this as a fix to ALL blocks. However,
33 something like this could have made the mktemp mess a lot simpler.
34 There would have been no issues to end users if the new coreutils
35 silently collided with mktemp and triggered auto-removal of mktemp when
36 the upgrade was done.
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list