From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reorganization of /var/lib gentoo-related files
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:26:43
1 On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:55:39 +0100
2 Fabio Rossi <rossi.f@××××××.it> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday 31 December 2008, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 >
6 > > Any reason for that? Aesthetics aren't a very compelling argument
7 > > IMO, and the FHS also seems to favor the current layout (in my
8 > > interpretation at least, as we're not really talking about
9 > > "inter-related applications" in technical terms).
10 >
11 > I agree with you, there is no technical relation, i.e. those
12 > applications are stand-alone, but I also think that the "link" is
13 > their role, they are all used for administrative purposes *inside* a
14 > Gentoo distribution ("inside" might be the right keyword to justify a
15 > little deviation from the FHS).
16
17 The same could be said about /var/lib/init.d, /var/lib/dhcp,
18 /var/lib/iptables or several other packages that aren't hosted by
19 Gentoo. In the other direction, if the packages are eventually used on
20 other distributions/systems, should they then use another path?
21
22 Mind that this only addresses the FHS part of my mail, you haven't
23 really answered my question: What's the benefit of changing things?
24 Change for the sake of change is rarely a good idea (unless you work in
25 PR/marketing ;)
26
27 > In the opposite direction, in according to your opinion, I don't see
28 > a reason to have /var/lib/gentoo/news instead of something
29 > like /var/lib/gentoo-news.
30
31 Right. But retroactively changing GLEP 42 and all affected packages is
32 a bit much just to avoid a generic "gentoo" directory.
33
34 Marius