From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Having fun with compression
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:41:50
1 On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 18:27 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 08:50 -0700, Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 >
4 > > Patrick,
5 > >
6 > > did you benchmark CPU load? Often bzip2 takes 3x as long to
7 > > uncompress a package than bzip. Often, the space savings doesn't
8 > > justify the cost of how long it takes for the cpu to decompress the
9 > > archive.
10 >
11 > I did not compare CPU load. Maybe I should do that :-)
12 >
13 > But the average user will take longer to download than to uncompress, so
14 > my rationale for this experiment was space reduction "at all costs". The
15 > 15% average gain should outweigh CPU issues.
16 >
17 > Also - on my test system I managed to _compress_ at 1,5MB/s. If anyone
18 > could provide some performance numbers for slower systems it'd be
19 > easier to evaluate the tradeoff.
20
21 I'm sure somebody *cough* vapier *cough* could find you a slow enough
22 machine to compare against. Perhaps something in the double-digits of
23 MHz. *grin*
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
28 x86 Architecture Team