From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Having fun with compression
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:32:30
1 On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 08:50 -0700, Ryan Phillips wrote:
2
3 > Patrick,
4 >
5 > did you benchmark CPU load? Often bzip2 takes 3x as long to
6 > uncompress a package than bzip. Often, the space savings doesn't
7 > justify the cost of how long it takes for the cpu to decompress the
8 > archive.
9
10 I did not compare CPU load. Maybe I should do that :-)
11
12 But the average user will take longer to download than to uncompress, so
13 my rationale for this experiment was space reduction "at all costs". The
14 15% average gain should outweigh CPU issues.
15
16 Also - on my test system I managed to _compress_ at 1,5MB/s. If anyone
17 could provide some performance numbers for slower systems it'd be
18 easier to evaluate the tradeoff.
19
20 Patrick
21 --
22 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move