From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: If I may interject...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:25:17
1 Mike Lundy <novas007@×××.net> posted 200608161801.43378.novas007@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:01:37 -0700:
3
4 Mike Lundy <novas007@×××.net> posted 200608161801.43378.novas007@×××.net,
5 excerpted below, on Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:01:37 -0700:
6
7 > I strive to be logical about this, and as un-inflammatory as
8 > possible. If you are going to respond, please make the same effort[.]
9
10 Likewise. I consider flamewars a waste of time, but healthy debate a
11 chance to learn something.
12
13 > I told a friend that there were some in the community who called
14 > proprietary software slaveryware. His response? "Holy shit!" If that
15 > term spreads, we can forget about convincing otherwise logical people
16 > that free software is the Right Way. There are two problems with it:
17 >
18 > 1) It's incorrect. There is nothing at this point in time that causes
19 > you to be enslaved by proprietary software.
20
21 Tell that to the many that can't leave it, due to "just one app",
22 photoshop, games, MS Office, Outlook/Exchange, Quickbooks accounting,
23 whatever. They are as enslaved to their "poison of choice", to combine
24 metaphors, as the druggie, as dependant on their master's whims as a slave.
25 As RMS says, every non-free program has a master, use the program, and you
26 are making him /your/ master. A human with another human master is
27 called... a slave. Note that some slavery can have been voluntary at some
28 point. That's indentured servitude, but it's considered a form of
29 slavery. When one can't leave, as these people can't, well, slavery it
30 becomes, whether it was originally voluntary or not.
31
32 > 2) It's intentionally offensive.
33
34 Intentionally accurate, IMO. Intentionally thought provoking as well, but
35 the nomenclature is IMO 100% accurate. Note that repeated "IMO". Others
36 are of course free to have their own opinion and call it what they want.
37 That's their opinion and they are entitled to it. I'll continue to choose
38 a label that matches my opinion thereof. "Slaveryware" is what I call it
39 because that's a very concise term defining my opinion of it. What you
40 call it is your choice, "the best thing since sliced bread", if you want.
41 That doesn't mean I have to agree with you, nor that I expect you to agree
42 with me. It's simply defining how each of us feels about it.
43
44 > Can you imagine explaining to your mother about slaveryware?
45
46 Actually, yes. My family is reasonably aware of my feelings on the matter
47 and why I hold them. I've described my journey from proprietaryware in
48 terms of a defector leaving the only land he ever knew, family, friends,
49 way of life, sacrificing it all because of a belief in freedom. Just as a
50 defector, I know I could never go back unless there's a regime change.
51 Just as a defector, I look back on that old life as pretty much a different
52 person in a different time. I still have friends in the old country, but
53 I recognize they must make their own choice, take their own risks in their
54 own time. Some may eventually choose to do so, and I'll be here to
55 welcome them and help them get settled in their new land. Others may
56 never choose to do it. I still consider them friends, yearning for them
57 to choose freedom too, but there is now a difference separating us, as
58 long as they haven't yet done so. My folks know and understand my
59 feelings on it, tho they don't share them. As the defector, I recognize
60 there are some that may agree to one extent or another, but simply find
61 they are too old to pull up roots and move, now. I understand this is
62 where my folks are, and am as comfortable with it as the defector
63 could/would be, because in a very real sense, that's really what I am.
64
65 As I said in my first post, I truly believe this stuff. Some label me a
66 radical as a result. I'm comfortable with that, because from my
67 perspective it puts me in some pretty fine company in terms of many others
68 who have been called radical because they refused to compromise on what
69 they considered freedom. However, it wouldn't be freedom at all if I were
70 to force the same beliefs on others, so I don't. I refuse to compromise
71 in terms of my own beliefs and definitions, but define them only in terms
72 of my own life. Unfortunately (IMO), too often people try to force others
73 into their own belief set. In turn, they expect I'm doing the same. No,
74 I'm not. They can deal with it as they see fit, but I demand and
75 positively assert my right and ability to do the same.
82 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
85 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list