From: Mike Lundy <novas007@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] If I may interject...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:04:59
1 On Wednesday 16 August 2006 14:49, Duncan wrote:
2 > You ever seen the term "slaveryware"? You have now.
3
4 [This preface is directed at everyone who might respond to this, not just
5 Duncan. I strive to be logical about this, and as un-inflammatory as
6 possible. If you are going to respond, please make the same effort; I'm ok
7 with being the latest person to start a discussion; I'm not ok with being the
8 latest person to start a flamewar. So, with that said...]
9
10 I told a friend that there were some in the community who called proprietary
11 software slaveryware. His response? "Holy shit!" If that term spreads, we can
12 forget about convincing otherwise logical people that free software is the
13 Right Way. There are two problems with it:
14
15 1) It's incorrect. There is nothing at this point in time that causes you to
16 be enslaved by proprietary software. There are stories of speculative
17 fiction, such as "Right to Read" and other, better written stories; those
18 stories are just that- fiction. Microsoft does not beat you or chain you to
19 their operating system. Sun does not whip you to use java. Members of the
20 wider computer community may, through their own adoption, but Sun has nothing
21 to do with it. You must convince members of your community to stay away from
22 proprietary software. This leads me to the second error.
23
24 2) It's intentionally offensive. The end goal of the free software movement,
25 as I understand it, is to convince everyone that freedom in software is
26 something to strive for. Some people do not immediately see the light of
27 this, and must be convinced through logical means. Convincing people to see
28 the benefits of free software is difficult enough. Stealing a cliche- can you
29 imagine explaining to your mother about slaveryware? If you use that term,
30 you then have to convince people that that term is accurate. The discussion
31 will be about the slaveryware /word/ instead of the free software /idea/.
32 That is counterproductive, and will likely cause you to be dismissed as a
33 extremist (though, hopefully not by your mother). Intentionally offending the
34 very people we need to convince does not help us at all.
35
36 So please, for the good of the community, stop using it. Don't stop with the
37 message, just cease using a term that would crystallize people against us if
38 it spread. Thanks.