From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] If I may interject...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:15:46
1 On Thursday 17 August 2006 03:01, Mike Lundy wrote:
2 > I told a friend that there were some in the community who called
3 > proprietary software slaveryware. His response? "Holy shit!" If that term
4 > spreads, we can forget about convincing otherwise logical people that free
5 > software is the Right Way. There are two problems with it:
6
7 I can't help to respond here.
8 >
9 > 1) It's incorrect. There is nothing at this point in time that causes you
10 > to be enslaved by proprietary software. There are stories of speculative
11 > fiction, such as "Right to Read" and other, better written stories; those
12 > stories are just that- fiction. Microsoft does not beat you or chain you to
13 > their operating system. Sun does not whip you to use java. Members of the
14 > wider computer community may, through their own adoption, but Sun has
15 > nothing to do with it. You must convince members of your community to stay
16 > away from proprietary software. This leads me to the second error.
17
18 Actually, it is more subtle. Microsoft does not force you to use windows. One
19 uses windows because of office. One uses microsoft office not because of
20 microsoft, but because *the whole world* uses microsoft office. It is called
21 network effects and is the cause of the microsoft monopoly. The slavery part
22 is that we are basically at the mercy of the owner of the monopoly. (You know
23 the main competitor of windows XP? It's the earlier releases, same goes for
24 office)
25
26 > 2) It's intentionally offensive. The end goal of the free software
27 > movement, as I understand it, is to convince everyone that freedom in
28 > software is something to strive for. Some people do not immediately see the
29 > light of this, and must be convinced through logical means. Convincing
30 > people to see the benefits of free software is difficult enough. Stealing a
31 > cliche- can you imagine explaining to your mother about slaveryware? If you
32 > use that term, you then have to convince people that that term is accurate.
33 > The discussion will be about the slaveryware /word/ instead of the free
34 > software /idea/. That is counterproductive, and will likely cause you to be
35 > dismissed as a extremist (though, hopefully not by your mother).
36 > Intentionally offending the very people we need to convince does not help
37 > us at all.
38
39 While it is accurate, I agree with you that it is indeed offensive.
40
41 Paul
44 Paul de Vrieze
45 Gentoo Developer