From: Edward Muller <edwardam@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problems with emerge
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:11:55
1 I would check your hardware/configuration. I've successfully merged X11
2 several times over the last few weeks on different machines without a
3 hitch and I'm new to Gentoo as well.
4
5 On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 12:34, Ruud Huijssoon wrote:
6 > Hi there,
7 >
8 > After I installed LFS awhile back, I wanted to try out gentoo, and so I did
9 >
10 > The basic install worked great!
11 >
12 > After that, I tried emerge x11-wm/WindowMaker because I wanted Xwindows and
13 > WindoMaker and then it started
14 >
15 > Lockups while d/l X420src-1.tgz. I wasn't able to login through another
16 > console nor ^C the operation so I had to do a cold reboot
17 >
18 > Tried again, part -2 and -3 d/l oke but now de install failed the checksum
19 > of the -1 file. So I removed it and did emerge x11-wm/WindowMaker again.
20 > Lockup while d/l. Now I was getting annoyed so I did ftp ftp.xfree86.org and d/l
21 > the source myself and put it in /usr/src/port*/dist*/
22 >
23 > Again I did emerge x11-wm/WindowMaker and now it passed the checksums. i was
24 > happy until...
25 >
26 > Again that -1 file! Now it lockup my system while it was u npacking the
27 > file!
28 >
29 > So I have 2 questions for you: 1) how do I succesfully install X11 and
30 > WindMaker on my gentoo system and 2) can you program emerge in such a way that it
31 > doens't lock up the entire system when there is a problem during the install?
32 > I'm having M$ flashbacks here!
33 >
34 > Anyway, this email isn't meant as a flame, the Gentoo project looks great
35 > but at the moment I have just these two annoying problems :)
36 >
37 > I hope you can help me out here
38 >
39 > Sincerely,
40 > Ruud
41 >
42 > --
43 > GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
44 > http://www.gmx.net
47 > gentoo-dev mailing list
48 > gentoo-dev@g.o