From: Todd Berman <tberman@g.o>
To: Georgi Georgiev <chutz-dated-1059395778.939403d6d488@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] app-cvs
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:26:39
1 Just in general, app-cvs is a 'BAD' idea.
2
3 It defeats the *entire* purpose of what is going on in general.
4
5 However, I fully agree with known good cvs-snapshots being used for
6 packages in the portage tree, but live cvs ebuilds prevent any sort of
7 QA in general being done on Gentoo's end. And if you are really wanting
8 to use cvs, its assumed that you will be updating and recompiling fairly
9 often, and a live-pull cvs ebuild doesnt really help you.
10
11 In general, baring notable exceptions (gaim-cvs, private live-cvs pull
12 ebuilds) I dont think live-cvs ebuilds are a good idea at all, and
13 surely not a sound reason to add a category just for their use.
14
15 Sorry if this is a bit rambling, just woke up :)
16
17 --Todd