From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed email - Dropping old kde3 eclasses from the tree
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 20:54:56
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >> Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
4 >>> Hi.
5 >>>
6 >>> As the KDE team prepares to add revised eclasses for the KDE3 ebuilds so
7 >>> we can get 3.5.10 marked stable and then finally ask for KDE4
8 >>> stabilization, we'd like to drop some old eclasses from the tree. We
9 >>> plan to drop the kde-base, kde-dist, kde-i18n and kde-source eclasses as
10 >>> they're no longer used.
11 >>> So unless someone has any objections, we'll drop the eclasses from the
12 >>> tree in the next few days.
13 >>>
14 >>> In case anyone has any doubts about portage reliance on the eclasses,
15 >>> let me quote Zac:
16 >>>
17 >>> #gentoo-dev 20:19 <@zmedico> jmbsvicetto: it's only an issue for people
18 >>> upgrading from less than portage-2.1.4, which is pretty rare nowadays
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>> For the KDE team,
22 >>>
23 >> It's an issue for people who have packages in vdb emerged with portage
24 >> older than 2.1.4 (if this was the version where the env started being
25 >> added to vdb). I have been maintaining the position that nuking eclasses
26 >> doesn't really provide enough benefits to bork these installs. I
27 >> recommend just making the eclasses unusable for emerging stuff and
28 >> keeping uninstalls working.
29 >
30 >> Regards,
31 >> Petteri
34 > Yeah, but how many people would really be affected by this? Also, I
35 > talked to Zac about this and all an user would need to do to get Portage
36 > to work again would be to grab the dropped eclasses. We could document
37 > this and provide links to the eclasses or create a tarball with the
38 > dropped eclasses.
39 > Even though this could affect packages merged before portage-2.1.4, the
40 > only packages that would be affected are packages that haven't had any
41 > updates since then and that means the eclasses they may use are still
42 > required and can not be dropped. So this will only affect users that
43 > haven't synced and updated their system for over 1 year.
44 > As I recall the issue about dropping eclasses being raised before and we
45 > have 27 deprecated eclasses in the tree (as determined by grep
46 > DEPRECATED $(portageq portdir)/eclass/* and that doesn't return all the
47 > kde eclasses we would like to drop), should we postpone this issue
48 > forever? The potential breakage will only diminish with time, so what
49 > benefits are required to out weight it?
53 What benefit does removing eclasses have besides a very minor space
54 change and maybe marginally faster to find what eclass to use?
55
56 Regards,
57 Petteri