From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed email - Dropping old kde3 eclasses from the tree
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 20:14:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Petteri Räty wrote:
5 > Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 >> Hi.
7 >>
8 >> As the KDE team prepares to add revised eclasses for the KDE3 ebuilds so
9 >> we can get 3.5.10 marked stable and then finally ask for KDE4
10 >> stabilization, we'd like to drop some old eclasses from the tree. We
11 >> plan to drop the kde-base, kde-dist, kde-i18n and kde-source eclasses as
12 >> they're no longer used.
13 >> So unless someone has any objections, we'll drop the eclasses from the
14 >> tree in the next few days.
15 >>
16 >> In case anyone has any doubts about portage reliance on the eclasses,
17 >> let me quote Zac:
18 >>
19 >> #gentoo-dev 20:19 <@zmedico> jmbsvicetto: it's only an issue for people
20 >> upgrading from less than portage-2.1.4, which is pretty rare nowadays
23 >> For the KDE team,
26 > It's an issue for people who have packages in vdb emerged with portage
27 > older than 2.1.4 (if this was the version where the env started being
28 > added to vdb). I have been maintaining the position that nuking eclasses
29 > doesn't really provide enough benefits to bork these installs. I
30 > recommend just making the eclasses unusable for emerging stuff and
31 > keeping uninstalls working.
32 >
33 > Regards,
34 > Petteri
37 Yeah, but how many people would really be affected by this? Also, I
38 talked to Zac about this and all an user would need to do to get Portage
39 to work again would be to grab the dropped eclasses. We could document
40 this and provide links to the eclasses or create a tarball with the
41 dropped eclasses.
42 Even though this could affect packages merged before portage-2.1.4, the
43 only packages that would be affected are packages that haven't had any
44 updates since then and that means the eclasses they may use are still
45 required and can not be dropped. So this will only affect users that
46 haven't synced and updated their system for over 1 year.
47 As I recall the issue about dropping eclasses being raised before and we
48 have 27 deprecated eclasses in the tree (as determined by grep
49 DEPRECATED $(portageq portdir)/eclass/* and that doesn't return all the
50 kde eclasses we would like to drop), should we postpone this issue
51 forever? The potential breakage will only diminish with time, so what
52 benefits are required to out weight it?
55 - --
56 Regards,
57
58 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
59 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE