From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed email - Dropping old kde3 eclasses from the tree
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 19:28:38
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 >
4 > As the KDE team prepares to add revised eclasses for the KDE3 ebuilds so
5 > we can get 3.5.10 marked stable and then finally ask for KDE4
6 > stabilization, we'd like to drop some old eclasses from the tree. We
7 > plan to drop the kde-base, kde-dist, kde-i18n and kde-source eclasses as
8 > they're no longer used.
9 > So unless someone has any objections, we'll drop the eclasses from the
10 > tree in the next few days.
11 >
12 > In case anyone has any doubts about portage reliance on the eclasses,
13 > let me quote Zac:
14 >
15 > #gentoo-dev 20:19 <@zmedico> jmbsvicetto: it's only an issue for people
16 > upgrading from less than portage-2.1.4, which is pretty rare nowadays
19 > For the KDE team,
22 It's an issue for people who have packages in vdb emerged with portage
23 older than 2.1.4 (if this was the version where the env started being
24 added to vdb). I have been maintaining the position that nuking eclasses
25 doesn't really provide enough benefits to bork these installs. I
26 recommend just making the eclasses unusable for emerging stuff and
27 keeping uninstalls working.
28
29 Regards,
30 Petteri