From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Seeking questions for a user survey
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:41:57
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 > Joe Peterson wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 10:56:36AM +0000, Steve Long wrote:
5 >>> Ryan Hill wrote:
6 >>>> I agree, though year of birth might be interesting. Income and children
7 >>>> are a bit too private.
8 >>>>
9 >>> ++ in general although I do think parenthood (if responsible) is as
10 >>> relevant as age. A 28 year old with a 5 year old kid has a lot to show a
11 >>> 35 year old doctoral student with no kids, even if it's not all
12 >>> technical. # of kids isn't relevant.
13 >> Judging the maturity of users (or devs) by how many children they have
14 >> (or indeed *if* they have children) is pretty questionable. I know
15 >> people who have kids and are pretty irresponsible (that's not to say
16 >> most are, but one does not guarantee the other). And I'd argue that
17 >> someone with children does not necessarily have "a lot to show" someone
18 >> without kids, unless it is the specific experience of childrearing.
19 >>
20 >> There are many people (myself and my wife included) who choose
21 >> consciously not to have children. It is becoming more and more a
22 >> *choice* people can legitimately make rather than just an assumed part
23 >> of life. It is not selfish or immature, as some people think, so I'd be
24 >> careful about implying that such a question gauges maturity.
25 >>
26 > My apologies if I caused you any offense, Joe. I fully agree that choosing
27 > not to have children is just as mature as deciding to procreate, and more
28 > mature than simply drifting into parenthood.
29 >
30 > I suppose what I am getting at is the idea that there are others in Gentoo
31 > besides young single males. A responsible parent or a committed spouse has
32 > a very different perspective to a teenager. Certainly my perspective now at
33 > 37 is vastly different to when I was 18. Parenthood changed a great deal,
34 > as did the earlier process of committing to marriage.
35 >
36 > Which is not to denigrate people who chose not to marry; my godchildren's
37 > parents were dead-set about their commitment to each other without a piece
38 > of paper. I guess it's the change between being an individual and feeling a
39 > commitment to someone else. And yeah maybe it's not something we need to
40 > ask anyone, but it is good to consider that there are diverse perspectives
41 > within the group.
42 >
43 > In the same vein I asked on project wrt to number of female devs and was
44 > told there are perhaps 3 or 4 iirc.
47 For a survey of this kind I think questions about children etc are as
48 inappropriate as ones about sexual orientation.
49
50 Personally i'd stick to the fundamentals.
51
52 George
53 --
54 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list