From: Michael Kirkland <mpkirkland@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 23:33:05
1 On Thursday 04 May 2006 05:21, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > If I might weigh in at this late stage:
5 >
6 > How did we end up here in the first place? Isn't the point of ~arch that we
7 > can put stuff here that might WELL be unstable? Sure, we'll get lots of "I
8 > set my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to ~arch and now my system is broken," messages, but
9 > if people are going to try ~arch, or Gentoo in general, despite warnings
10 > that it's "not for newbies" (and I have personal experience of this), we
11 > can't really stop them without turning the community into a fascist state,
12 > can we? Gentoo (like all projects) has a finite amount of developers, and
13 > if we spend to much time on ~arch then surely arch will suffer
14 >
15 > Just my 0.2 cents (sic)
16 >
17 > Jeff.
18
19 I think the problem is that Gentoo is falling into the same sandtrap the
20 Debian project has been mired in forever. "arch" and "~arch" are polarizing
21 into "stable, but horribly out of date", and "maybe it will work".
22
23 This leads to people trying to maintain a
24 frankenstinian /etc/portage/package.keywords file, constantly adding to it
25 and never knowing when things can be removed from it.
26
27 I would suggest opening a middle ground tag, where things can be moved to from
28 "~arch" when they work for reasonable configuration values, but still have
29 open bugs for some people.
30
31 That way, people who prefer stability over the latest features can run "arch",
32 and everyone who bitches about packages being out of date can run the middle
33 tag, and "~arch" can be kept for testing.
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list