From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 05:32:17
1 I think the problem is that Gentoo is falling into the same sandtrap the
2 > Debian project has been mired in forever. "arch" and "~arch" are
3 > polarizing
4 > into "stable, but horribly out of date", and "maybe it will work".
5 >
6 > This leads to people trying to maintain a
7 > frankenstinian /etc/portage/package.keywords file, constantly adding to it
8 > and never knowing when things can be removed from it.
9 >
10 > I would suggest opening a middle ground tag, where things can be moved to
11 > from
12 > "~arch" when they work for reasonable configuration values, but still have
13 > open bugs for some people.
14 >
15 > That way, people who prefer stability over the latest features can run
16 > "arch",
17 > and everyone who bitches about packages being out of date can run the
18 > middle
19 > tag, and "~arch" can be kept for testing.
20 > --
21 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
24 Or maybe we could move to a fixed release cycle. Debian uses 18 (?) months,
25 but maybe a 3- or 6-month release cycle would suit us better
26
27 Jeff.
31 Argument against Linux number 6,033:
32
33 "...So this is like most Linux viruses. You have to download the virus
34 yourself, become root, install it and then run it. Seems like a lot of work
35 just to experience what you can get on Windows with a lot less trouble."