From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request to add ~> atom prefix operator on Portage.
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:33:02
1 On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Semantic versioning is a new fad.
4
5 I believe it's already been there for a while. It just didn't become
6 a standard soon.
7
8 > Certain upstreams still think that
9 > 5.10 is a lower version that 5.2. Perl used to be notorious for doing
10 > this, but they've partially changed in some places but not others.
11 >
12 > The rules are a mess because they need to a reasonable job of dealing
13 > with all the crazy.
14
15 But these rules may no longer be applicable with the current packages.
16 Besides I think we can just enforce using 3 digits on versioning
17 ebuilds when we see a package that uses both 2 digits and 3 digits.