From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Winex-cvs being removed from portage?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:17:27
1 On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 08:26, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Not allmighty. In some circumstances the GPL is not usable.
3 > But _if_ (theoretically) the wine project had used the GPL from the
4 > beginning no other project could have profited (in a monetary sense)
5 > from their work.
6 > But since they did not think that anybody would abuse the licensing
7 > freedom from their old license they did not use the GPL.
8
9 Codeweavers, who hosts the wine project, and also sells several modified
10 versions of wine, would also have been bound by their own licensing and
11 would be unable to do business. This is exactly why I used the example
12 that I did.
13
14 > and the GPL is one method of keeping software free.
15
16 Who said anything about keeping software free?
17
18 > Yes, but as a "Free" Software Developer the BSD license is almost unacceptable
19 > since everybody and his dog can take your software.
20
21 ...and you can use it in a commercial venture yourself without breaking
22 the terms of the license YOU CHOSE. The only other solution is to
23 create your own license.
24
25 > You are stomping around on semantics. derived or patched, where do you draw
26 > the line? From my point of view winex is an extensive patch to an older
27 > version of wine.
28
29 So Mandrake is an extensive patch to an older version of Red Hat?
30 Gentoo is simply an extensive patch to the Linux kernel? You're
31 speaking as someone who has a biased opinion without bothering to follow
32 the development of these projects. There are several projects that use
33 the wine sources. Transgaming is not alone.
34
35 > And yes, they made a simple request, but to me it sounds like "Stop
36 > giving away the software we 'borrowed' from someone else"
37
38 Actually, if you bothered to look in their CVS, you would see how much
39 has been completely rewritten and how much completely new functionality
40 has been added.
41
42 > I really dislike the licensing terms of transgaming, and I suppose their
43 > CVS was made available to reduce the flak from Open Source Fanatics :-)
44
45 I seem to recall something about a pot and a kettle. Fanaticism starts
46 at home.
47
48 > Yes. But I have a strong conviction that other people should be made
49 > aware of the surrounding issues.
50
51 Great! Then get your facts straight with the *truth* and spread that.
52 How about reading the mailing list archives where you will find that the
53 core wine developers were completely aware of what was going on and were
54 all for it. The only "issues" abound are ones created by people looking
55 to make a name for themselves or to simply argue.
56
57 > Because it includes Microsoft?
58
59 No, because Microsoft's shared source program is in no way free, nor
60 open. Not to mention it immediately brings on strong feelings from
61 either side of the fence. When picking an example to argue, it is best
62 not to pick one that brings about a slashbot mentality, especially if
63 you're trying to prove an objective point.
66 Chris Gianelloni
67 Developer, Gentoo Linux
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list