From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Winex-cvs being removed from portage?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:27:04
1 On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 13:54, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > Why should these people get money for using technology provided by the
3 > > wine project?
4 > > I know this sounds a lot like a flame, but they took the years of work
5 > > of the wine project, added some value and started selling it.
6 >
7 > Because the old wine license allowed it? There is no other reason.
8 > Your comments here *are* a flame. Followed immediately by a praising of
9 > the almighty GPL...
10 Not allmighty. In some circumstances the GPL is not usable.
11 But _if_ (theoretically) the wine project had used the GPL from the
12 beginning no other project could have profited (in a monetary sense)
13 from their work.
14 But since they did not think that anybody would abuse the licensing
15 freedom from their old license they did not use the GPL.
16
17 I had the privilege of listening to Mr. Stallman in person, and I
18 understood his idealism. It's a moral obligation to keep our freedom,
19 and the GPL is one method of keeping software free.
20 > > That's were Stallman and the GPL come in: The GPL keeps your work
21 > > available for all. Other licences may be abused.
22 > There is plenty of reason for other licenses, otherwise they would not
23 > exist. For example, if I wanted to create an open source application,
24 > yet also create a feature-enhanced binary only version, a BSD license
25 > would be a perfect choice for me to select.
26 Yes, but as a "Free" Software Developer the BSD license is almost unacceptable
27 since everybody and his dog can take your software.
28
29 > Transgaming is no longer simply issuing "patches made to wine", but
30 > rather a quite changed product that was *derived* from wine. This is a
31 > major distinction. Transgaming made a simple request. Nobody is
32 > whining but you.
33 You are stomping around on semantics. derived or patched, where do you draw
34 the line? From my point of view winex is an extensive patch to an older
35 version of wine.
36
37 And yes, they made a simple request, but to me it sounds like "Stop
38 giving away the software we 'borrowed' from someone else"
39 I really dislike the licensing terms of transgaming, and I suppose their
40 CVS was made available to reduce the flak from Open Source Fanatics :-)
41
42 > If it feels wrong to you, then don't use it. Don't develop for them.
43 > It is that simple.
44 Yes. But I have a strong conviction that other people should be made
45 aware of the surrounding issues.
46
47 > Microsoft's shared source is a poor example for
48 > obvious reasons.
49 Because it includes Microsoft?
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list