From: Zach Forrest <diatribe@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] standards/conventions? (LDPATH, include files)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 16:02:35
1 Thanks.
2
3 Dan Armak wrote:
4
5 > On Thursday 06 December 2001 22:47, you wrote:
6 >
7 >>Missed one thing...
8 >>
9 >>When should a file be added to env.d? The package I'm putting together,
10 >>by default, puts its libraries in /usr/lib? I've noticed that packages
11 >>like mozilla put their libraries in something like /usr/lib/mozilla/lib.
12 >>I know when unpacking mozilla it stores its libraries in the lib
13 >>subdirectory of mozilla, so would this be an indication of when to add a
14 >>file to env.d? In other words, should I accept the default location and
15 >>then, if the default is not the standard /usr/lib, add a file to env.d?
16 >>
17 > Generally speaking you put a file in /etc/env.d whenever you want to change a
18 > global environment variable, mainly for extending various PATH settings. But
19 > yuo already know that. In the case of LDPATH, use a /etc/env.d file to add
20 > your libdir to LDPATH if it's in a non-standard location.
21 >
22 > As to how to decide where to install: use /usr if at all possible. Use
23 > something like /usr/lib/yourlib/lib (like mozilla does) if:
24 > a. Your package has a non standard dir structure (i.e. ither than ./bin,
25 > ./lib, ./include...)
26 > b. Various versions of your package are likely to be installed, and can't
27 > live in one dir.
28 > c. Any other good reason.