From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] standards/conventions? (LDPATH, include files)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 14:52:13
1 On Thursday 06 December 2001 22:47, you wrote:
2 > Missed one thing...
3 >
4 > When should a file be added to env.d? The package I'm putting together,
5 > by default, puts its libraries in /usr/lib? I've noticed that packages
6 > like mozilla put their libraries in something like /usr/lib/mozilla/lib.
7 > I know when unpacking mozilla it stores its libraries in the lib
8 > subdirectory of mozilla, so would this be an indication of when to add a
9 > file to env.d? In other words, should I accept the default location and
10 > then, if the default is not the standard /usr/lib, add a file to env.d?
11 Generally speaking you put a file in /etc/env.d whenever you want to change a
12 global environment variable, mainly for extending various PATH settings. But
13 yuo already know that. In the case of LDPATH, use a /etc/env.d file to add
14 your libdir to LDPATH if it's in a non-standard location.
15
16 As to how to decide where to install: use /usr if at all possible. Use
17 something like /usr/lib/yourlib/lib (like mozilla does) if:
18 a. Your package has a non standard dir structure (i.e. ither than ./bin,
19 ./lib, ./include...)
20 b. Various versions of your package are likely to be installed, and can't
21 live in one dir.
22 c. Any other good reason.
26 Dan Armak
27 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team