From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: Spider <spider@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS and non-devs (again!)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:22:12
1 On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 18:05, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > Portage could "taint" packages that is installed with unsupported or
3 > tainted packages as dependencies. Have portage give a warning about
4 > tainted packages.
5
6 Hey, that's pretty good.
7
8 > This way a user could easily resolve these kind of problem without
9 > submiting a bugreport.
10
11 Or perhaps, if it's implemented in the same way that ~arch is
12 (perhaps, um, ^arch?), or ~arch but bound to a different environment
13 variable than KEYWORDS) then there is loud and clear warning that you're
14 doing something unsupported...
15
16 ... but keeping it in (near?) the tree (a different tree) so that we can
17 still leverage the core Portage toolchain to manage our systems.
18
19 [Total respect to Spider and others who have pointed out the possible
20 support / bug report nightmare that scenarios along these lines might
21 engender]
22
23 AfC
24 Sydney
27 Andrew Frederick Cowie
28 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
29
30 Australia: +61 2 9977 6866 North America: +1 646 472 5054
31
32 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list