From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:00:38
1 On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, M J Everitt wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 17/10/16 08:41, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 >>> To be clear I would suggest at MOST 3, -bin, -ebin, and -sbin.
6 >>> NO more.
7 >
8 >> I don't see what problem you are trying to solve. Gentoo is a
9 >> source-based distro .. any binaries are a last-resort or most
10 >> certainly should be. Having a policy may be useful, but I see no
11 >> proposition on this thread yet?
12 >
13 > How about the following? I believe it is more or less the current
14 > practice:
15 >
16 > "Gentoo usually builds its packages from source. Exceptionally,
17 > a binary package can be provided instead (e.g., if upstream doesn't
18 > provide a source) or in addition. Such packages should still follow
19 > normal naming conventions and don't need any special suffix.
20 >
21 > If a binary package is provided in addition to its source-based
22 > equivalent, the name of the former should be suffixed with '-bin'
23 > for distinction."
24
25 +1 from me.
26
27 Using the package name to make the binary package unique with respect
28 to the source-based package makes sense to me. Using it as a more
29 general indication of whether something is being built from source
30 does not make very much sense to me.