From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 12:21:09
1 >>>>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, M J Everitt wrote:
2
3 > On 17/10/16 08:41, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 >> To be clear I would suggest at MOST 3, -bin, -ebin, and -sbin.
5 >> NO more.
6
7 > I don't see what problem you are trying to solve. Gentoo is a
8 > source-based distro .. any binaries are a last-resort or most
9 > certainly should be. Having a policy may be useful, but I see no
10 > proposition on this thread yet?
11
12 How about the following? I believe it is more or less the current
13 practice:
14
15 "Gentoo usually builds its packages from source. Exceptionally,
16 a binary package can be provided instead (e.g., if upstream doesn't
17 provide a source) or in addition. Such packages should still follow
18 normal naming conventions and don't need any special suffix.
19
20 If a binary package is provided in addition to its source-based
21 equivalent, the name of the former should be suffixed with '-bin'
22 for distinction."
23
24 Ulrich