From: Dave Nellans <dnellans@×××××××.edu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:14:42
1 this is something we discussed about a month ago and never developed an
2 official policy for then did we? george can you comment on this?
3 perhaps its time we do
4
5 dave
6
7 On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 15:04, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
8 > Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o> writes:
9 >
10 > > Policy is to avoid naming conflicts. :)
11 > >
12 > > There are indeed ebuilds that conflict. Those are bugs that there is
13 > > currently no clean fix for. Committing _more_ conflicting ebuilds is
14 > > definitely not okay.
17 > Jon (and others),
18 >
19 > I'm not so sure. I have app-emacs and app-xemacs and there are
20 > *many* ebuilds which "conflict" in their naming, and this is
21 > intentional.
22 >
23 > For example, the "ilisp" package appears in both app-emacs and
24 > app-xemacs. So if I'm to avoid this naming "conflict" because
25 > somemone typing "emerge ilisp" might get "app-xemacs/ilisp" instead
26 > of "app-emacs/ilisp", then naturally I should prefix the ebuild names
27 > with "emacs" and "xemacs", right? So I'd end up with
28 >
29 > emerge emacs-ilisp
30 > or
31 > emerge xemacs-ilisp
32 >
33 > But wait! Thats what categories are for -- ie. defining some
34 > namespace. Thus there's no need, and this more or less backs up my
35 > argument that the category name + package name forms a "fully resolved
36 > and unique" symbol for emerge to act upon.
37 >
38 > So the user should do:
39 >
40 > emerge app-emacs/ilisp
41 > or
42 > emerge app-xemacs/ilisp
43 >
44 > What of the case where the user is surprised by the "short form" case:
45 >
46 > emerge ilisp
47 >
48 > ...well this is where emerge should abort and report back to the user
49 > something like this: "ERROR: Short form 'ilisp' matches
50 > app-emacs/ilisp and app-xemacs/ilisp -- please use a fully qualified
51 > name instead". (Currently emerge emerges the first one it sees.)
52 >
53 > I really think ambiguities should be resolved by using the category
54 > name -- otherwise I can't see why we sort packages into categories
55 > at all.
56 >
57 > Matt
58 --