From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:28:41
1 Am Donnerstag, den 26.03.2009, 19:12 +0100 schrieb Donnie Berkholz:
2 > On 12:25 Mon 23 Mar , Robert Buchholz wrote:
3 > > On Monday 23 March 2009, Tiziano Müller wrote:
4 > > > Spec needed. DOCS or no DOCS?
5 > >
6 > > DOCS, and non-empty default value, please [1].
7 > > Some eclasses already do this (not base, but others), and if that
8 > > default doesn't cover it for you, the function can be overridden.
9 > >
10 > > Concerning the argument of declarative ebuilds vs. bash-oriented ebuilds
11 > > brought up by Donnie: Our ebuilds always had declarative parts with an
12 > > impact on the PM (e.g. RESTRICT), or on eclasses (WANT_AUTOCONF, or
13 > > look at the games eclass).
14 > > I think if we stay within sane limits[2], following this paradigm is
15 > > going to help developers because more simple cases will be caught by
16 > > the default implementation without adding the complexities of having to
17 > > know tons of (aka "more than one") variables and how they interact.
18 >
19 > I probably would have agreed with you a few EAPIs ago where stuff was
20 > more painful. Take a look at this, though -- it doesn't seem so bad to
21 > me in a non-DOCS, EAPI=3 world:
22 >
23 > src_install() {
24 > default
25 > dodoc foo bar
26 > }
27 >
28 Well, we can just start with such a default src_install and then change
29 it in a later EAPI if we see that it would be more useful to have
30 DOCS="".
31
32 But again: eclasses for certain package classes already provide
33 src_install implementations considering DOCS for installing
34 documentation. Which shows that some developers think it's useful.