From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for March 26
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:12:48
1 On 12:25 Mon 23 Mar , Robert Buchholz wrote:
2 > On Monday 23 March 2009, Tiziano Müller wrote:
3 > > Spec needed. DOCS or no DOCS?
4 >
5 > DOCS, and non-empty default value, please [1].
6 > Some eclasses already do this (not base, but others), and if that
7 > default doesn't cover it for you, the function can be overridden.
8 >
9 > Concerning the argument of declarative ebuilds vs. bash-oriented ebuilds
10 > brought up by Donnie: Our ebuilds always had declarative parts with an
11 > impact on the PM (e.g. RESTRICT), or on eclasses (WANT_AUTOCONF, or
12 > look at the games eclass).
13 > I think if we stay within sane limits[2], following this paradigm is
14 > going to help developers because more simple cases will be caught by
15 > the default implementation without adding the complexities of having to
16 > know tons of (aka "more than one") variables and how they interact.
17
18 I probably would have agreed with you a few EAPIs ago where stuff was
19 more painful. Take a look at this, though -- it doesn't seem so bad to
20 me in a non-DOCS, EAPI=3 world:
21
22 src_install() {
23 default