From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:44:10
1 On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:18:51 +0100
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I know that I'm a bit late on this, but to me the "version 2 or
5 > later" is a license by itself. Let's call it GPL-RENEW and let the
6 > file have contents like:
7 > "This package is licensed with the version x or later clause for the
8 > GPL."
9
10 This is effectively what Diego was proposing with the 'GPL-2+' name.
11
12 > The LICENSE would then be:
13 > LICENSE="GPL-2 GPL-RENEW"
14 >
15 > The advantage being that the renew clause is version independent, we
16 > don't lose information, don't have to mutilate licenses (by adding
17 > text). If desired it could even be used as LICENSE="|| (GPL-2 GPL-3)
18 > GPL-RENEW"
19
20 This isn't necessary - by creating the 'GPL-2+' license name, the only
21 thing that's not fully correct as things stand is that packages that
22 can be accepted with GPL-2 or later won't be accepted if the user has
23 just GPL-3 in ACCEPT_LICENSES. Over time this can be fixed, by
24 replacing "GPL-2" with "GPL-2+" in the LICENSE variable for the
25 relevant packages.
26
27 The the meaning of each license name would be strictly:
28
29 GPL-2 : Only licensed under GPL v2
30 GPL-3 : Only licensed under GPL v3
31 GPL-2+ : Licensed under GPL v2 or later
32
33 Which gives everyone what they need; those wanting GPL-2 or later would
34 have ACCEPT_LICENSES="GPL-2 GPL-3 GPL-2+".
37 For me, the only other sane alternative would be to use license groups
38 (assuming license groups can be specified in the LICENSE variable). I
39 don't recall the status of license groups in portage.
42 Kevin F. Quinn