From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:22:15
1 On Friday 22 December 2006 22:53, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:56:54 +0100
5 >
6 > "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
7 > > At the moment we represent the software we consider under GNU General
8 > > Public License, version 2 of the license, but we cannot be sure it's
9 > > alright to license it to "any later version". Linux kernel for
10 > > instance is licensed _only_ under GPLv2, but not any later version.
11 >
12 > I don't think this is a good solution, as in any case the package is
13 > licensed under GPL-2, so how about for the packages that only support
14 > GPL-2 we set:
15 >
16 > LICENSE="GPL-2"
17 >
18 > While for the ones that support v2 or later (this is actually a special
19 > case of multiple licensing) we do:
20 >
21 > LICENSE="GPL-2 GPL-3"
22
23 I know that I'm a bit late on this, but to me the "version 2 or later" is a
24 license by itself. Let's call it GPL-RENEW and let the file have contents
25 like:
26 "This package is licensed with the version x or later clause for the GPL."
27
28 The LICENSE would then be:
29 LICENSE="GPL-2 GPL-RENEW"
30
31 The advantage being that the renew clause is version independent, we don't
32 lose information, don't have to mutilate licenses (by adding text). If
33 desired it could even be used as LICENSE="|| (GPL-2 GPL-3) GPL-RENEW"
34
35 Paul
38 Paul de Vrieze
39 Gentoo Developer