From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:30:16
1 On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 00:30 +0200, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2
3 > In my eyes it was a policy issue. Tree-wide policies have to pass the
4 > council in one form or the other. So why shouldn't Council care here?
5
6 My argument is not that Council should not care. My question is: what's
7 the big urgency to rush a half-baked policy through?
8
9 > I just wonder why several people feel attacked by this decission while
10 > the affected parties have no problem with it.
11
12 I hope you don't mean me here, because I haven't felt attacked at all.
13 My concern isn't a personal one. Rather, it's a question that nobody
14 from the council has actually answered: what was the big hurry to make a
15 decision _NOW_ without even thinking through the migration path, or for
16 that matter without even knowing what is the actual correct way. It's
17 fine to say that _rc_alpha_beta_p is wrong (and I happen to agree).
18 It's another to not say what is actually right. Furthermore, if only 3
19 packages did the wrong thing where was the emergency?
20
21 > Anybody who attends the regular Council meetings and/or reads their
22 > logs/summaries knew that this kind of decission is possible.
23
24 To paraphrase something I've said to people on this list: just because
25 you can does not necessarily mean that you _should_.
26
27 I probably have more council related commentary, but I'll save that for
28 the appropriate mailing list :)
29
30 I'm not trying to make you defensive, I just really would like an answer
31 to my question, that is all.
32
33 Thanks,
34