From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:50:53
1 On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:28:34 -0500 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | He's not "screwing up" anything. He's making changes he wishes as the
4 | author and maintainer of the package. If someone doesn't like it,
5 | they can fork it and maintain their own package. Isn't that just
6 | wonderful?
7
8 Forking is a rather extreme option, not something one does on a whim...
9
10 | Seriously, Roy can work on whatever he wants how he wants,
11 | just like any of the rest of us. Anyone who doesn't like it can
12 | simply fork the project, or even create a new project to replace the
13 | functionality provided by this package.
14
15 Except we already know that that's not the case. Take, for example, the
16 non-GNU-utility changes that the ppc-macos people tried to force upon
17 Gentoo. It's a fairly obvious example of how people cannot and should
18 not be allowed to screw things up just because they want to scratch an
19 itch.
20
21 | It happens all the time. I seem to remember it happening with this
22 | package manager we all are familiar with...
23
24 Ooh, an ad hominem!
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org