From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:40:04
1 On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 08:18 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:58:20 -0500 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | > A far better justification than you've given currently.
5 > |
6 > | How about hacking on open source is done so that people can scratch
7 > | an itch. No developer has to be a slave to the demands of others if
8 > | it doesn't scratch that developer's itch.
9 > |
10 > | A baselayout without bash scratches Roy's itch.
11 >
12 > Which is all very well, but not sufficient reason to screw up a project
13 > that is developed and used by a lot of people.
14
15 He's not "screwing up" anything. He's making changes he wishes as the
16 author and maintainer of the package. If someone doesn't like it, they
17 can fork it and maintain their own package. Isn't that just wonderful?
18 Seriously, Roy can work on whatever he wants how he wants, just like any
19 of the rest of us. Anyone who doesn't like it can simply fork the
20 project, or even create a new project to replace the functionality
21 provided by this package. It happens all the time. I seem to remember
22 it happening with this package manager we all are familiar with...
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
27 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
28 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
29 Gentoo Foundation