From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Removal of kdeprefix news item
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 02:30:50
1 On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Jonathan Callen <abcd@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>>>> On Wed, 18 May 2011, Jonathan Callen wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Display-If-Installed: kde-base/kdelibs[kdeprefix]
7 >>
8 >> I don't think that USE dependencies (or any other EAPI specific
9 >> features) are allowed here.
10 >
11 > The GLEP does not make any meantion as to whether it is legal to use
12 > USE dependencies here.  I have, however, tested with portage and
13 > portage itself Does The Right Thing when faced with a USE dep in
14 > Display-If-Installed.
15
16 reading the code for the version of portage I have installed:
17
18 The NewsManager will call Isvalid on each news item and each news item
19 will scan its restrictions for 'valid-ness' and report that upward. So
20 if we are lucky, on old versions of portage, portage.isvalidatom will
21 report the USE-dep as an invalid atom and portage will print mean
22 errors messages about 'invalid news items' but will not throw up (in
23 theory).
26 >>> run: emerge --oneshot $(qlist -IC kde-base/)
27 >>
28 >> Is it guaranteed that your users have portage-utils installed?
29 >> Otherwise the qlist command may not be available.
32 > I had thought that we depended on this, but I was mistaken (the
33 > dependency was pulled in via pambase).  I guess we could just use
34 > `emerge --update --deep --newuse @world` (and yes, @world is available
35 > in stable portage).
36 >
37 > --