From: Francesco R <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild design issue regarding some {I need the lib and api only}-DEPENDs
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:45:01
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2
3 >Christian Parpart wrote:
7 >>Using the "minimal" useflag for this - IMHO - is a misuse of the idea of
8 >>"minimal" semantically - as I do understand minimal in a way like "don't
9 >>overbloat me with patches and other feature additions"-alike.
13 >minimal is about keeping the package at the minimum, that means strip
14 >every feature that won't prevent it to run.
18 Maybe it's foggy for mysql usage, better suggestions (clientonly, libonly) ?
19
20 >>Do we have a general accepted gentoo policy for this?
24 >Usually the policy is "If the upstream has planned that we'll follow,
25 >otherwise no"
28 [IMHO]
29 Upstream distribuite binaryes of only libraryes, in this direction it's
30 supported.
31 Build them from the source only libs is not deeply supported, see below.
32 [/IMHO]
36 >>And... any thoughts on this subject?
41 >I'd prefer to have those features enabled by useflag, sometimes (eg.
42 >qemu) I can split functionality in separated ebuild and use a metaebuild
43 >to let users merge both w/out major overhead.
44 >
45 >In your case a useflag IMHO would be enough since the situation require
46 >a particular setup and in the case the constraint changes won't be a
47 >problem rebuild a full mysql.
48 >
49 >The question is, does the mysql configure script have a "clientonly"
50 >and/or a "libraryonly" option?
54 there is an option for configure "--without-server" , but actually the
55 server is still build.
56 Take a look at >= dev-db/mysql-4.0.24-r2 for how "minimal" use flag is
57 used,
58 basically it force some flag off and remove some files from the install.
59
60 >There were a client and server useflag discussion before.
61 >
62 >lu
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list