From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild design issue regarding some {I need the lib and api only}-DEPENDs
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:30:27
1 Christian Parpart wrote:
2
3 > Using the "minimal" useflag for this - IMHO - is a misuse of the idea of
4 > "minimal" semantically - as I do understand minimal in a way like "don't
5 > overbloat me with patches and other feature additions"-alike.
6
7 minimal is about keeping the package at the minimum, that means strip
8 every feature that won't prevent it to run.
9
10 > Do we have a general accepted gentoo policy for this?
11
12 Usually the policy is "If the upstream has planned that we'll follow,
13 otherwise no"
16 > And... any thoughts on this subject?
19 I'd prefer to have those features enabled by useflag, sometimes (eg.
20 qemu) I can split functionality in separated ebuild and use a metaebuild
21 to let users merge both w/out major overhead.
22
23 In your case a useflag IMHO would be enough since the situation require
24 a particular setup and in the case the constraint changes won't be a
25 problem rebuild a full mysql.
26
27 The question is, does the mysql configure script have a "clientonly"
28 and/or a "libraryonly" option?
29
30 There were a client and server useflag discussion before.
31
32 lu
36 Luca Barbato
37
38 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
39 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list