From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mailers, Mailers, Mailers!!!
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:33:06
1 On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 04:21:43PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 : > However, I do differ in opinion from Grant. I would prefer that
3 : > anything that is /usr/bin/mail works as expected, and that in the
4 : > Greater UNIX Picture sorta means using /usr/{lib,sbin}/sendmail. I
5 : > think it's a bad thing to create some changes that go against user
6 : > expectations.
7 :
8 : Since nail does not need an mta, I don't think we should require
9 : it, thereby leaving that decision up to the user.
10 :
11 : It may be that we don't want to install a /usr/bin/mail clone
12 : by default, if that would also require us to install either
13 : sendmail or postfix at the same time. Perhaps we need a
14 : "standardUnixMailer.ebuild" that just has mailx and sendmail
15 : as depends, and does nothing else?
16
17 However, we do install ssmtp by default. This is a lightweight (it only
18 relays to a hub) /usr/{lib,sbin}/sendmail clone.
19
20 It's so small I bet you didn't even notice it on your system. 8)
21
22 But like I said, for a default install (remember, you too can create
23 your own profiles) I think it's wise to not alienate people trying out
24 Gentoo by not having "standard" tools. Now, I'm not saying out
25 /usr/bin/mail and /usr/sbin/sendmail need to be mailx and sendmail
26 proper (in fact I think nail and ssmtp make excellent replacements).
27 But I do think that something should be there to meet today's baseline
28 expectations.
29
30 --Jerry
31
32 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
33 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
34 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
35 || than that!