From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on the licensing issue
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:07:55
1 On 01/07/2010 05:46 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 >
3 > I think the GPL-compatible set makes barely sense.
4
5 ++
8 > Difference between OSI and FSF approved: ... I think the definitions
9 > of FSF and OSI are pretty much the same, ... So I'd like it much more
10 > to have one big "This is free and open source software" set.
14 I think that we should make the license groups as objective as possible.
15 EVERYBODY can agree that such a license is or isn't OSI approved or
16 FSF approved - whether they hate or love the FSF/etc.
17
18 By all means every gentoo dev is welcome to post on their blog "if you
19 want free and open source software put this in your ACCEPT_LICENSE" -
20 and everybody can post comments on the blog calling them the next saint
21 of the Church of GNU, or the devil incarnate. Let's just keep the
22 portage tree to the facts.
23
24 Now groups that are fairly legally objective like
25 "redistributable-without-modification" I think are useful. They could
26 be useful in doing QA checks on RESTRICT=mirror, for example. However,
27 let's try to stick with simple objective criteria that both people who
28 hate a license and love it can agree on.
32 > What bites me is the man-pages issue. Is it really the case that
33 > there's no free (as in freedom) man-pages package? Maybe then we
34 > should provide an option to install the base system without
35 > man-pages?
38 I guess strictly-speaking man-pages aren't essential as part of system,
39 but they'd seem like a big omission to leave out. Unless we want a
40 free-only profile (nobody seems to want to fully support this), I think
41 that the better option is this:
42
43 Write up instructions on how to have a free gentoo install and put it on
44 your blog or whatever. If they've good enough maybe we can have the doc
45 team make it official (gotta consider support issues here).
46
47 You can always stick the man-pages in package_provided or whatever so
48 that portage doesn't try to install it.
49
50 You can also make your own profile, and post instructions for the world
51 to see. Again, break it and you get to keep the pieces and all that...