From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:11:38
1 On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 07:25:03 +0800
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sunday 05 July 2015 13:46:10 William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 09:05:59AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > > On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:20:23 +0200 Peter Stuge wrote:
6 > > > > It's important that the review flow is well-understood and
7 > > > > efficient.
8 > > >
9 > > > This is impossible in our case due to the lack of manpower.
10 > > > We already have a lot of bugs, patches, stabilization requests
11 > > > hanging over there for months and even years. Stabilization
12 > > > request will require at least two developers to participate in
13 > > > each commit. This will double manpower required at least. Such
14 > > > approach can kill the whole project.
15 > >
16 > > Agreed. Forcing all commits from developers to go through a code
17 > > review from another developer before they hit the tree would
18 > > potentially kill the entire project. I would strongly veto
19 > > something like this, because we flat out don't have the manpower to
20 > > keep up with it.
21 > >
22 > ... or you have some pranksters just ok-ing all commits during their
23 > morning coffee, independent of content, which would keep things
24 > working at the cost of quality ...
25
26 Spoken like someone who's never used a code review system. Pranksters
27 can no more "ok all commits" than they can "commit whatever they
28 like", since you treat giving +2 permissions like you treat giving push
29 access.
32 Ciaran McCreesh