From: Dan Meltzer <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:35:20
1 Random thought.... May be completely off base.
2
3 Could this debug info be NFS shared? assuming like computers, or would
4 it be different on each computer.
5
6 On 11/27/05, Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o> wrote:
7 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 12:50:30PM -0500, Ned Ludd wrote:
8 > > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
9 > > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
12 > This should definitely be enabled by default, we dont need to enable
13 > debugging information for this to be useful, just having the symbol
14 > table available will make getting backtraces and diagnosing problems
15 > many times easier with little extra diskspace requirements. Gentoo is
16 > way behind on this feature, all the other major distributions have
17 > caught on to how useful detatched debugging symbols can be.
18 >
19 > If we dont enable this by default, I think the users who really need it
20 > (ie, the ones who want us to track down a bug but are unable to provide
21 > enough debugging information to do so) probably wont have the foresight
22 > to turn it on.
23 >
24 > This could also be a major boon for administrators imho, if a service
25 > is dumping core unpredicatbly this feature and enabling coredumps would
26 > be enough to start tracking down the problem, or at least identifying
27 > the culprit.
28 >
29 > --
31 > taviso@××××××××××××.org | finger me for my pgp key.